Prepare your home and your family for wildfires. We all know Park County, and much of Colorado is at risk of wildfires. The good news is, there are pretty easy steps we can take to protect our homes, properties and one another.
Please visit Colorado's new Live Wildfire Ready website for resources and information.
Start living wildfire ready with these simple, practical, low-cost actions.
- Regularly clear leaves, pine needles and other debris from your deck, roof and gutters.
- Rake and remove pine needles and leaves 5 feet from your home.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet from your home, preferably uphill, and never on or under your deck.
- Move items under your deck or porch to a storage area.
- Prune branches hanging over your roof and within 10 feet of your chimney.
- Remove flammable material within 6 vertical inches of your home’s siding.
- Mow grasses to 4 inches or less within 30 feet of your home.
- Clear brush, shrubs and other plants within 10 feet of propane tanks and gas meters.
- Screen attic, roof, eaves and foundation vents and wall-in areas below decks and stilt foundations with 1/8-inch metal mesh.
The more you do to prepare and plan ahead, the more likely your home will survive a wildfire.
Download this check-list for steps and tips to live wildfire ready.
Visit Ready for Wildfire for evacuation planning tips, and more mitigation ideas.
Check back here for updates and resources!
Past Wildfire Information
403 Wildfire - March 30
Badger Creek - April 12