Special Title Transfers

Deceased Owner

Titles held in joint tenancy may be transferred to the survivor upon payment of a title transfer fee and submission of the title and a copy of the death certificate. Titles held in solely the deceased owner's name may be transferred by the executor or personal representative of the estate or the successor (estates less than $50,000).

The following will have to be submitted to our office:

  • A title in the name of the deceased, signed by the executor, person's representative, or successor
  • A copy of the death certificate
  • A small estates affidavit (if the estate is valued at $50,000 or less)
    • Small estate affidavit forms are available in our office
  • A copy of any court order giving applicant the right to finalize the estate

Bond Title

The bonding procedure is followed when the required documents for titling are not available or are incorrect. The vehicle must be physically located in Colorado, roadworthy, and in your possession before completing the bonding procedure.

Form DR2922 (PDF) lists the 7 steps needed to complete the bonding process and is available in our office.

More Information

For more information, contact the Motor Vehicle Office at 719-836-4333.