Park County-Held Tax Lien Certificates
Tax Lien Certifcates
- Tax lien certificates are available to anyone who may wish to purchase them, except Park County Government employees or their families.
- Most tax liens are sold at the yearly tax lien sale. Those not sold are then held by the County for purchase.
- Purchasing tax lien certificates is a “buyer beware” proposition, we strongly advise that you conduct due diligence in researching a certificate before having it assigned to you.
- Please research legal descriptions using maps and records available through the Assessor’s Office.
- You may also want to go to the property and see for yourself before making a decision.
- Understand that you are holding a tax lien certificate; this does not give you any legal rights to the encumbered property.
- In order to purchase a County-held tax lien certificate, you must pay the county the value of the certificate plus a $5.00 assignment fee.
- You will be required to fill out a W-9 form.
- Certificates are eligible for a Treasurer’s Deed application after the lien has remained active for three years from the date of the original sale date.
- There is a deed application fee; depending on the location and value fees range from $300.00 to $500.00.
- The process usually takes approximately 6-9 months depending upon research time.
- To purchase a County-held tax lien certificate, contact the Treasurer’s office at (719) 836-4241.