2018 Precinct Caucuses
What is a precinct caucus?
- The 2018 Party Precinct Caucus is held on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
- In each even-numbered year, political parties hold their precinct caucus on the first Tuesday in March to begin the process of election candidates to nominate in the upcoming elections.
- Registered voters of the same political party gather to select delegates to represent the precinct at the county assembly and committee officers to organize political activities for the precinct.
- Precinct caucuses are open to the electors of major parties and held throughout the state.
Who can vote in a precinct caucus?
- A resident affiliated with the caucusing political party for at least 2 months before the precinct caucus.
- Monday, January 8th, 2018: Last day to affiliate with a political party in order to vote in March 6th party precinct caucus.
- A registered voter no later than 29 days before the caucus.
- Monday, February 5th, 2018: Last day to update your registration address to participate in the March 6th party precinct caucuses.
Party Assemblies and Conventions
For specific dates and location for assemblies and conventions, please contact your political party directly.
What is a county assembly?
- Precinct caucus delegates gather to select candidates for the state primary election, delegates to the congressional district assemblies and the delegates to the state assembly.
- The county assembly is held no later than 25 days after the precinct caucuses.
What is a district assembly?
- The district assembly selects district level delegates to the national convention. Delegates also nominate candidates for Congress, the Colorado General assembly, the Board of Regents, and District Attorneys.
- The time and place of the district assembly is determined by the chairperson of the district committee.
What is the state assembly /convention?
- State assembly member nominate candidates for statewide offices for the primary election ballot and delegates for the nation convention.
- The state assembly/convention is held no later than 73 days before the primary election.