The only person(s) who may apply for a Treasurer's Deed is the holder of the Tax Lien Certificate.
In accordance with CRS 39-11-120(1) and 39-11-128(1)(a), a Treasurer's Deed may be issued 3 years from the date of the original sale, upon proper application and notification.
How Do I Apply?
Please fill out the Treasurer’s Deed Application.
- You may return the completed application and the $500 application fee to the Treasurer's Office at 501 Main Street, Fairplay, CO 80440 or mail to PO Box 638, Fairplay, Colorado 80440.
- Per C.R.S. 39-11-120, applications received without the original certificate cannot be processed.
- The application fee is a title expense which includes, title commitment and policy, advertising charges, mailing fees, posting fees and any additional charges accrued in procedures by statute for issuance of a Treasurer's Deed.
- The Treasurer's Deed process takes approximately 6 to 9 months, given no unforeseen problems. Advertising is initiated as soon as the title commitment and certified mailing to legally interested parties is complete.
- The Treasurer's Deed will be issued if redemption is not made prior to the execution date. The Treasurer's Deed is recorded with the Park County Clerk and Recorder.
Things To Remember
- The Treasurer's Deed will not be issued until all subsequent property tax liens are brought current.
- A Treasurer's Deed is an unmarketable title for 7 years. You may deed the property to another; however, you may not warrant the title. Please contact an attorney or title company for further information. The Treasurer's Office is unable to advise you in this matter.
- If the certificate is redeemed prior to deed issuance, you will receive your investment, interest, and your application fee in full. However, no interest is earned on the application fee.
- As a tax lien investor you are responsible for your own record keeping and research. This includes certificate numbers, schedule numbers, date of tax sale, endorsements and legal descriptions. If you require research on your purchases, the following research fee applies:
- C.R.S. 30-1-102 (s). Fees of county treasurer. For research, fifteen dollars per hour or portion thereof, one hour minimum;
- Research must be submitted in writing and will done on time available basis.
- Treasurer’s Deed Issues. C.R.S. do not provide the provision for Treasurer’s to change Treasurer’s Deeds once they have been issued. Issues with your deed must be taken to District Court for a judge’s decision.